How to grow the best garden
I have a step-by-step process on how to grow the best garden big or small depending on how large an area you want to dedicate for gardening. If you are starting out for the first time start small and for those that have lots of experience in, gardening try something new with a portion of your garden.
Best Location for your garden
Find the sunniest place in your yard if you are going to dedicate the area to a garden. This can be an entire area or it can be a shared area with other plants and flowers. It can also be a raised bed you build or a basket or pot that you can place in the ideal location.
How to share flower beds for gardening
You can plant vegetable plants right with other plants in your garden if you do not have a designated area you want to have for your vegetable plants. This tomato plant fits right in with the other flowers and as you can see it produced many tomatoes. The other flowers were great to attract pollinators to pollinate the tomatoes.
Best Raised bed garden boxes
Using a raised bed is a great way to designate an area for a garden. There are many ways to create garden boxes. You can purchase premade garden boxes, purchase wood to make your own box (Always use untreated wood such as cedar, or redwood), or you can use galvanized metal tubs or sheets to make your own.
When building a garden box do not use treated wood, even though it will last longer the chemicals to treat the wood will leach into the soil and contaminate the ground which will ultimately be drawn into the plant and the vegetables you are growing.
You can buy premade boxes or kits if you do not want to design and build your own garden boxes.
- ✔ SIZE: 96(L) x 48(W) x 12(H), provide extra large growing space to raise vegetables, herbs, flowers and plants
- ✔ DURABLE: Made of stable thickened galvanized metal, strengthen crossbar with anti-rusty coating for long-time use
- ✔ OPEN BOTTOM: Sits on the ground garden bed, provide good drainage, keep weeds away from soil, defense against pests, and protect your plants
- ✔ SAFETY: Bottomless design, plants didnt touch the metal and eco-friendly coating do not contaminate soil, safe for plants and humans
- ✔ EASY SETUP: Only need about 5min and easy to put it together, go ahead to raise the plants
- LARGE PLANTING SPACE: Designed with a long bed space (SKY2383 5 CuFt/ SKY6152 8.4 CuFT) bed deep enough to ensure your plants and vegetables can breathe and grow healthy
- PROPER DRAINAGE: Allows excess water to drain out, keeping soil fresh and protecting plants from waterlogging or mineral buildup
- ALL-WOOD CONSTRUCTION: Naturally durable Chinese fir wood provides a water- and weather-safe structure that will avoid warps and sagging over time
- ERGONOMIC HEIGHT: The 30-inch tall design removes the need for bending or kneeling, preserving your back and knees as you tend to your balcony, deck, or patio garden
- RAISED GARDEN BED LINER: Separates wood from the soil, keeping the wooden garden planter in excellent condition and preventing weeds and pests from interfering with plant growth; (Note: Only available for SKY2383); OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 48.5(L) x 23(W) x 30(H); Weight Capacity: 200 l
- BUILT TO LAST: Made of natural Chinese Fir wood to provide a gardening solution constructed to last through every season without discoloring or breaking down over the years
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Pre-sanded panels built with dovetail joints slide together and lock in place with screw-fastened posts for a quick, sturdy assembly
- MAXIMIZE SPACE: 8-foot garden bed provides ample space for plants to grow with an included liner to separate the wood from the soil and keep it in excellent condition
- GARDEN ORGANIZER: Separate and sort various types of plants, vegetables, fruits, and flowers with the included middle divider
- OUTDOOR ACCENT: Perfect decoration accessory that will complement any front or backyard, grass area, or budding garden; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 96(L) x 24(W) x 10
- Add custom text here
- Add custom text here
- Add custom text here
- Add custom text here
- Add custom text here
- More suitable raised garden bed size and Volume：67L x 20W x10H， 7 Cu. Ft. You can cultivate plants, like vegetables, flowers, herbs in your patio, yard, garden, and greenhouse.
- BUILT TO LAST: The raised garden bed body made of steel plates galvanized layer and 2 layers of anti-corrosion paint, strong anti-rust performance to keep your garden bed looking its best for years to come.
- OPEN-BOTTOM GARDEN BED: Built with an open base to prevent water buildup and rot, while allowing roots easy access to nutrients.
- Side ventilation：Side ventilation can enhance the respiration of plant roots and facilitate the removal of excess water. Keep your plants healthy!
- Easy-to-assemble: This raised garden bed is designed in a simple but stable structure, which is very easy and quick to put together. Necessary hardware and instruction are included.
- ★This product is a double pack 7ft+5ft, it comes with two complete separate beds, one 7ft and one 5ft.
- ★Grow fruits and vegetables from your own garden, You get to taste wonderful freshness and juiciness.
- ★If you’re growing in your back garden you don’t want to ruin your view with an untidy plot. our garden bed create a neat, easy to manage growing area.
- ★Made of Anti rust thick galvanized steel, wave structure and oval shape. the perfect material for long lasting planter boxes.Quick and easy installation with easy-to-follow instructions.
- ★ We Are Superior Sellers - 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free, we know youll love
- NO MORE SORE BACK: At 3-feet high, this raised garden bed is at a height that your back will enjoy. Designed for you to stay in your garden for much longer and enjoy it.
- STRESS-FREE ASSEMBLY: Most customers tell us they can assemble the garden bed in less than an hour. Tips include using a helper and reading the helpful reviews below.
- NEW: Now our raised garden bed comes with a much easier to remove clear plastic film. We read your reviews and made the change. Thank you!
- BUILT TO LAST: This raised garden bed uses .6mm thick galvanized steel for incredible durability. Its also coated with a Zinc-Aluminium Weather Shield to prevent rust and keep your garden bed looking beautiful for years to come.
- LARGE ENOUGH FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY: At nearly 6ft Wide, 3 ft High and 2 ft Deep this is one of the largest rasied garden beds on the market. You can plant your flowers, vegetables, herbs all in one container! You can even use our garden bed for composting t
Best Pots and baskets for your vegetable plants
Pots and baskets are a great way to grow vegetables in small places on apartment patios and porches or for your home patios. It is also easy to plant flowers and vegetables together in companion planting to provide vegetables for you and your family.
When considering the size of the planter you need to first determine what vegetable plants you are going to grow in them to determine the size of the planter needed to allow the roots to grow well and support the plants and the vegetables.
Plants with smaller root systems are best such as patio tomatoes, herbs, lettuce, spinach, and some cucumbers.
- 【Dual-pots Design with Self-watering Reservoir】- The inner pot with netting drainer allows excess water get through. The outer basket with a drainage plug allows for water storage and prevents your plant from drought, allow for switching between indoor or outdoor use. Self-watering reservoir preventing over or under watering, so they need to be watered only once or twice a week. You dont have to worry about your plants even on a vacation. In short, they save time and water !
- 【Heavy-duty Chain Hanger】- Comes with a 15.74 inch longheavy-duty iron with black finishing triple-chain hanger, strong and balanced, ensuring secure support while hanging.
- 【Trendy Rattan Design】- The hang planter is designed to attractive woven look and texture which is remarkably similar to real rattan. This hanging basket makes a great stylish addition to any part of your home or patio.
- 【Environmental Material】 Made of environmentally friendly reinforced plastic PP, Durable polypropylene resin construction means no rusting, no peeling, no denting, no fading but eye-catching.
- 【Best After-Sale Service】: If you have any questions, please contact our Laerjin customer service, we will solve your problem within 24 HOURS.
- 【Premium Quality】 Made of Top-Quality clay and baked at 1796°F high temperature, each Terracotta Pots features great durability and crack resistance. All packages have passed the 3-foot drop test to ensure the pots stay intact during delivery.
- 【Mini and Lovely】The clay pots for plants, 4 inches in height, 4 inches in outer diameter, are designed for holding succulent, cactus and herbs. There are 6 pcs pots in the package, plants and soil are not included.
- 【Drainage Holes】Each ceramic pottery planter comes with a small drainage hole at the bottom, increasing drainage efficiency when watering, protecting the health of your flowers or succulents.
- 【Ideal for Indoor or Outdoor Usage】The terra cotta pots are included Saucer, so you can put them at your balcony, windowsill, table or working desk.
- 【Multi-usages】The cute terra cotta pots are perfect for plants nursing, ornament for room or balcony, wedding, baby shower, and other party decoration, crafts creation and more. Suitable for school projects of teaching children about growing plants.
- Modern & Stylish Design – Mueller large planters are designed with matte finishing exterior in soft, wavy shapes, with a ceramic visual display that adds fresh, decorative flair to your space. Perfect for home, office, hotels, restaurants, and other commercial use. Outdoor or Indoor - Ideal addition to any front entrance, poolside patio, or spacious hallway.
- Ultra-Durable - High-quality material for long-lasting use. To help avoid excessive heavy lifting, this planter is durable and robust, yet easy to rearrange within your garden space. Sturdy design means that these planters are very durable, ensuring a long life compared with other planters.
- Frost and Sun Resistant – To withstand all the elements, these planters have been specifically designed to last well throughout the colder months. Due to high-quality materials used to manufacture these planters, color will remain rich for many years.
- Built-in Drainage System - Create holes within inner pot to prevent over-watering. Drainage holes in the inner pot help the moisture to flow into the substrate from a water tank, while are inner pot handles convenient for easy planting and maintenance.
- Superior Quality With Mueller Garden - We are here to offer you only the best quality products designed to make your life easier. If you need any help, please feel free to contact us. Our unparalleled 24/7 live telephone customer support is ready and waiting to assist with anything you ne
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR USE –Use it to decorate your living room, or place it on an outdoor area like a balcony, patio, or porch.
- LIGHTWEIGHT MATERIALS - Made from durable recyclable plastic and natural stone powder, the planter is light so you can lift it easily.
- RAISED DRAINAGE HOLE- With 4 drain holes raised from the bottom, it makes possible to reserve or filter out excess water no matter where it’s placed, balcony, deck, patio, garden, outdoor and indoor. Your ferns, pothos, ivy and spider plants will thrive in this porous, breathable planter (Plants not included). A saucer is needed for indoor use (NOT INCLUDED).
- WEATHER RESISTANT - Allow you to enjoy these tall planters for outdoor plants in all types of weather. Built to withstand intense sun and harsh winter temperatures, free from fade, frost, crack and peel damage so you can use it indoors and outdoors freely.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - We want you to love your purchase, therefore we strive to satisfy each customer. If for any reason you are not satisfied, we offer full refunds and retur
Preparing the soil for planting
Test your soil to know what you need to do to amend the soil for the best growing conditions for the vegetables. Once you have tested amend the soil with proper organic materials.
See my recipe for COF (complete organic fertilizer) this is great to add to the soil for you to have the best garden soil. Recipe COF
If you have a local soil and forest products company seek them out for a soil amendment that they sell that is organic for vegetables.
Shared flower bed
Test your soil to know what you need to do to amend the soil for the best growing conditions for the vegetables. Since you are sharing the space with vegetables and flowers you need to know what the PH is for both flowers and vegetables, it is also good to know what plants are good companions with the vegetable plants.
You will build up the soil with organic materials to provide you with the best soil conditions possible, thus eliminating the PH testing of the soil. Fill the raised bed with the amended soil so that the roots have lots of room to grow. Ideally, you want the soil light and deep for the roots to grow deep to support the plants and the fruit or vegetables they will grow.
This is one of the most critical pieces in growing the best garden. To hold the moisture in the soil which provides water to your plants you need to cover the top of the soil with a mulch that will allow the moisture to not be evaporated and to keep the plants from drying out in the hot summer days, and to keep the plants roots cool.
Some mulches add to the soil to fertilize the plants and others just protect the plants. Mulches are also great to keep the weeds from growing which reduces the amount of weeding you will need to do, allowing you more time to enjoy your garden.
There are many types of mulch, such as leaves, grass clippings, wood chips, coir, straw, filbert shells, cocoa shells, and even gravel or larger flat rocks.
Flower pots or baskets
This is best done by purchasing the highest quality organic potting mix to fill your containers. Make sure there are drain holes in the bottom of the container. Start with filler materials in the bottom to reduce the amount of soil needed and to keep the pots and baskets lite, you can use plastic bottles, packing materials, or any other product to fill the bottom of the container. Place organic mix over filler material, add some organic fertilizer to feed the plants, and next add the plants and finally the remainder of the planting mix to fill the basket. You will need to feed these plants more often to keep them healthy and produce an abundance of vegetables.
Let’s recap how to grow the best garden
- Find the sunniest place in your yard or on your patio
- Share space with other flowers and plants to grow your garden
- Use pots and planters to grow a garden
- Build a raised bed for your garden
- Build or purchase garden box for your garden
- Build up soil for a garden bed